What does 'sugar conscious' mean?
How can I get your cookies in my belly?
Why the name "Bald Baker?"
All your products are vegan and you're baked without any sugar or grains.
How can your treats possibly taste any good?
What exactly is erythritol?
I sometimes bake with stevia and it has this weird after taste. Why is that and do Bald Baker's treats have that?
What is your raison d'etre?
"I LOVE your treats, but wish there were more flavour options. Do you have plans to expand your offering?
The term represents our philosophy and our primary value. It means that we don't bake with any sugar at all (including unrefined sugars like maple syrup and honey), making us a diabetic-friendly dessert company. It means that you can finally indulge your sweet tooth without worrying about the consequences of a blood sugar spike.
We are working on our retail strategy as we speak. Market season has generally come to a close, so we no longer have a weekly pop-up. That being said, we have a number of exciting events scheduled for the coming months. Be sure to follow us on social media to ensure that you don’t miss any updates! You can always place a custom order directly through the Bald Baker himself at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the online store for delivery across Canada. If you're in the GTA, we can arrange for a pick up near the head office at Yonge & Eglinton. As we finalize our packaging, we'll update the website with the locations and contact information of the stores, cafes and outlets that carry our products.
You have to play the cards you're dealt. Know what I mean?
We believe that you don't need sugar to make a dessert taste great. You need high-quality, great tasting ingredients. So, we deconstructed a normal cookie, threw out all the high-calorie, nutrient-void junk you'd normally find and added back nutrient-rich, delicious ingredients to give you not just another 'healthy' cookie - but one that actually tastes fantastic.
Goodbye white refined flour. Hello almond, coconut, chickpea and buckwheat flours.
Goodbye high-glycemic refined sugar. Hello no-glycemic-impact erythritol and stevia.
Goodbye high-cholesterol eggs. Hello cholesterol-reducing, high-fiber flax.
"I hate protein" said nobody, ever. Our treats are chock-full of nuts: almonds, walnuts, pecans & peanuts - rich sources of protein, healthy fats and essential vitamins and minerals... not to mention, great taste.
Erythritol is considered a sugar alcohol, although ironically, it is neither a sugar nor an alcohol. Without getting too sciency, using a natural process called hydrolysis, glucose is extracted from corn starch. This is where the sugar in the term 'sugar alcohol' comes from. This glucose is then fermented (adding the alcohol term) and the result is erythritol, a substance that looks, feels and bakes just like sugar. However, unlike other 'natural sugar substitutes' like agave, maple syrup or honey, erythritol contains no calories and has no glycemic impact. And unlike other sugar alcohols like sorbitol, maltitol or xylitol, erythritol does not create unpleasant gastro-intestinal side effects. It's basically a unicorn in that it shouldn't exist... but it does and we love it. I'm confident that once you try our treats, so will you.
Stevia is a natural substance that is actually 300x (yes, three hundred times) sweeter than sugar. When people try to bake with it as their primary sweetener, they sometimes experience that aftertaste because of its overuse. Bald Baker uses erythritol as our primary sweetener, which is only 70% as sweet as sugar - the remaining 30% comes from our very conservative use of stevia. We have created our products to encompass more flavors than just sweet - earthy nuttiness from almonds and peanuts in our cookies for example; or cocoa and vanilla in the brownies. We experimented quite a bit. We could tell you 1,000 ways how not to make a cookie, but after many trials, we feel very strongly about how delicious our products are.
Bald Baker exists so that anyone and everyone can enjoy a good treat without consequences. We want you to have your cookie, and eat it too, to feel the sense of satisfaction and joy that a delicious treat is supposed to produce. Everything we do, every cookie, brownie, muffin, cake or treat that we create will be baked with a focus on creating the best possible dessert experience.
We are constantly tinkering around in the kitchen. We had a lot of success with a carrot cake cookie as well as a banana walnut muffin earlier this year. If you have any suggestions for products that you'd like to see then definitely shoot us an email. We'd love to hear from you!
Why not? We want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy our products.